How do I change how I receive my email?
There are three ways you can receive email through Mailshell: using the website, at a forwarding address, or using a desktop client like Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, and Netscape Messenger. (Using a desktop client is available only with the Premium Service.)
If you are not currently using the website but would like to, all you need to do is change your delivery settings to save in folders. You can just save everything in your Inbox, or, if you like, create folders to organize your email.
If you are not currently forwarding messages but would like to, here's what to do:
If you are not currently using a desktop client but would like to, here's what to do:
- First, decide whether you want to use POP or IMAP.
- Next, configure your client: Mailshell provides step-by-step instructions for common clients using both POP and IMAP.
- Finally, change your delivery settings to save in folders. If you are using POP, you will need to save everything in your Inbox because POP will only download messages from that folder. If you are using IMAP, you can choose to save in as many different folders as you like.
How do I change my delivery settings?
Your delivery settings let you choose where messages sent to you will go: depending on which delivery setting you're changing, you can choose to have messages saved in different folders in your Mailshell account, forwarded to an outside address, bounced back to the sender as undeliverable, or deleted immediately. You can also choose to create a new folder or a new forwarding address (see below).
There are several main places where you can choose delivery settings:
- email@example.com. If you have an @mailshell.com address, you can change where that address is delivered by clicking the address name in the Spam Filtering Overview section of Spam Filtering. In the Address Options, use the "Deliver To" menu to make your selection.
- Existing email accounts. If you have set up existing email accounts to be cleaned of spam, there are two ways to change the delivery setting for those messages. If you want to change which Mailshell address is receiving the messages, go to the Clean Existing Email section of spam filtering and click the "edit" link for that account, then use the "Deliver To" menu to make your selection. If you want to change where that Mailshell address is delivering (i.e., where the messages will ultimately go), go to the same page and click the name of the Mailshell address, then use the "Deliver To" menu to make your selection.
- Disposable email addresses. To change the delivery method for disposable email addresses, go to the Disposable Email Address section of Spam Filtering. You can either click the "edit" link for the address you want to change and use the menu in Address Options or use the checkboxes on the left side to select the addresses you want to change, then make your selection using the menu at the bottom of your address list. (If you want to stop receiving messages at a disposable address, simply delete that address.)
- Default for new approved disposable addresses. To change where new approved disposable addresses are delivered by default, go to the Options page and click the "Delivery Settings" link, then use the "Deliver New Approved Addresses To" menu to make your selection.
- All pending addresses. To change where pending addresses are delivered, you can either go to the Options page, click the "Delivery Settings" link, and use the "Deliver Pending Addresses To" menu or go to the Approve Pending Addresses page in the Disposable Email Addresses section of Spam Filtering and make your selection there.
- Caught spam. To change where caught spam is delivered, you can either go to the Options page, click the "Delivery Settings" link, and use the "Deliver Caught Spam To" menu or go to the Spam Catcher Settings section of Spam Filtering and make your selection there.
- New message alerts. To change where new message alerts are delivered, go to the Options page and click the "Delivery Settings" link. (Note that if you have the free trial service, you can only choose your active forwarding address. Only Premium users can choose different forwarding addresses.)
If a particular delivery menu lets you create a new folder and you select that option, you will be asked to enter the name of the new folder; the new folder will be automatically selected for that menu. If it lets you create a new forwarding address, you select that option, and you have the Premium Service, you will be asked to enter the new forwarding address and the new forwarding address will be automatically selected for that menu; if you select that option and have the free trial service, you will simply be taken to your list of forwarding addresses, where you will need to add, verify, and activate the new address, then return to the menu and select that address.
How do I read my saved messages?
Once you have opened a folder, you can read a message by clicking the subject line of the message you wish to read. When reading a message, you can reply, forward or delete the message; move to the previous or next message; close the message; and add the sender to your Blocked Senders or Address Book contacts by clicking the appropriate links.
How do I know when I have new messages?
In the Spam Filtering Overview section of Spam Filtering and the Inbox section of Check Mail, the upper left corner of the page will indicate the total number of new messages you have and which folders those messages are in. You can click a folder name to view that folder or click the "View Unread Messages" link to see all of your unread messages at once regardless of which folder they are stored in.
If you would like to be notified at an outside email address when you have new messages saved at Mailshell, you can use the new message alert feature.
How do I organize my messages with folders?
Once you have created folders, there are several ways to take advantage of them to organize your messages:
- You can manually move messages between folders.
- You can automatically organize messages by changing your delivery settings to save in different folders. For instance, you could save different disposable addresses in different folders based on what they are used for.
- You can use custom email filters to automatically organize incoming messages based on criteria like the sender, the recipient, keywords in the subject or body, and/or file size.
How do I get more storage space?
If you have the free trial service and would like more than 10 MB of storage space, you can easily upgrade to the Premium Service to get 50 MB. Users cannot have more than 50 MB of storage space.